Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Windows 8

Groovin'
lionkng123
Accepted Solution

Brightness control with FN + F5/F6 is not working with Windows 8.1

Hi,

I am having SVE15129CN where brightness control and few others combinations are not working with FN key after upgrading to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8.

Combinations are not working :

• FN + F1
  • FN + F5
  • FN + F6
  • FN + F7
  • FN + F12

Combinations are working :

• FN + F2
  • FN + F3
  • FN + F4

Details :
Model Name = SVE15129CNS
VAIO Control Center Version = 6.0.19.09270
VESStaminaSwitch Version =
VESPerformanceSwitch Version = 6.0.0.08170
Sony Firmware Extension Parser = 8.0.2.1818
Video Card Driver Name = AMD Radeon HD 7650M
Video Card Driver Version = 13.151.1.0

Is there any way to resolve it?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
acyaman

Re: Brightness control with FN + F5/F6 is not working with Windows 8.1

I'm having the same issues. Some people suggested reinstalling the video drivers but that proved useless. If anyone finds a resolutiion please post it. thanks.

Please use plain text.
Sony Employee
Gz8

Hi lionkng123,

Please make sure you have Sony Shared Library installed as well.

@acyaman,

How did you install the Windows 8.1 OS? Is it a clean installed OS?

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
acyaman

I'm not sure what you mean by clean install. I believe it was a link through the vaio software.
Please use plain text.
Groovin'
acyaman

I upgraded from win 8, from the windows store iself. There's been little quirks ever since. Once I had my brightness settings work, fn f4-f5, but it was only once, and it was after they had been not working. When I first did the upgrade too, it wouldn't go to sleep upon closing the lid, which it is set to do. But that somehow fixed itself too. Not sure why. I haven't really done anything other than reapply those settings themselves. But now, the only thing I can see wrong is the brightness control doesn't do anything. The slider comes up, goes up and down, but it doesnt acutally affect the brightness. That and there's this dotted line at the bottom of the screen, shows up upon startup and stays. it's situated right above the start menu bar, like 2 mm above it. It appears when I first upgraded to 8.1. Do you have any idea what I can do , or what I did wrong I can undo?. I have avast, and i'm sure it was running when I did the install. Should I try and down grade from 8.1 and redo the install?

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
acyaman

My vaio model is sve14A35CXH. stock model and components.

Please use plain text.
Sony Employee
Gz8

[ Edited ]

Hi acyaman,

After installing Windows 8.1, have you run VAIO Update to install all the driver/utility updates for your system?

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
lionkng123

[ Edited ]

Hi Gz8,

Thank you the reply.

In my system VAIO care and updates are working perfectly. However, I didn't do clean install, rather it was upgrade from win 8.

I was trying to install this Shared Library on Win 8.1 which is giving "An I/O error occured while installing a file. This is normally caused by bad installation media or a corrupt installation file."

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
acyaman

I did make sure to, but i think i upgraded before installing some updates in my vaio update program. I think maybe I should have made sure i was fully updated before doing it. So i did a refresh, back to win 8, and i'm all updated now. My functions are back to normal. Except for one thing. My screen, upon installing 8.1, had this line going from all the way  left to right, just a hair above the taskbar at the bottom. I did the refresh, and the line is still there. I've updated windows and vaio programs, and it's still there. It's there when the computer starts up, and stays on. It looks like a dotted line, like a pixelated line. Almost like a window was there, then moved, but left behind the outline. But it wont go away. I dont know what to do.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
lionkng123

Is there any updates? 

I think this model (SVE5129CN) supports win 8.1 upgrade. Am I missing anything?

Please use plain text.