Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

VAIO - Upgrade, Backup, & Recovery

Groovin'
dbacksgirl
Accepted Solution

startup repair

I turned on my laptop this morning and it would not open up past the starting windows page-then the startup repair came up and I clicked to run the startup repair-it says it may take over an hour but it has been over 8 hours it doesn't appear to be frozen and I tried to cancel but it says the operation cannot be cancelled-Is there anything I can do? I am afraid to just turn it off but I can't do anything with
it right here-the model number is vpceg1bfx and it didn,t come with any recovery discs or installation discs
Please use plain text.
NickT

Re: startup repair

Hi dbacksgirl,

Startup Repair usually does not take over 8hrs to repair.  Usually takes a couple of hours max.  It could be either a bad OS(Windows 7) or bad hard drive.  It is up to you if you want o let is run overnight or not.  Most of the time if it takes this long, it is locked(frozen).  If there are data/files that you want to keep, then let it run and see what it will do tomorrow.  If not data or files to backup, then just do a manual shut down by holding the power button for 30 secs or more.  Then try booting to safemode and use windows system restore to restore back to a date that it was working.  If both safemode and windows system restore failed, then will have to put the unit back to factory condition using F10.  But before doing that, run hard diag using F10.  Restart the computer and immediately begin tapping the F10 key until the Edit Boot Options screen is displayed.  At the Edit Boot Options screen, press the Enter key.  Then chose hardware diag and run a quick test.  If hard drive diag passes, then start the factory recovery using F10.  Make sure to backup your data and files.  If hard drive fails, then service is needed. 

Nick--

Please use plain text.