Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

VAIO - Hardware & Networking

Top 40 Artist
truplayr
Accepted Solution

Availability for Windows 8.1 upgrade for Vaio PC's?

Hi. I tried to install Windows 8.1 upgrade from Microsoft store, but after downloading the file it cannot be proceeded as the message says: "Couldn't install Windows 8.1 Contact your manufacturer to see if you can upgrade the System BIOS".

So when will the 8.1 upgrade be available for Vaio owners?

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
simianwillz

Re: Availability for Windows 8.1 upgrade for Vaio PC's?

Yep, I have the same issue. I'm on a Vaio Duo 13. I have seen someone else install it already on the same computer so she must have got lucky I guess. I have tried 4 times and still get the same error.
Please use plain text.
Groovin'
delta4653

There is a BIOS update required for the Windows 8.1 upgrade. 

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=SVD13215PXW&upd_id=9109&os_group_id=24

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
simianwillz

Thanks! That sorted it :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
truplayr

I managed to upgrade to 8.1 as well, however the frontal facial recognition doesn't work and instead uses the rear camera (don't have an option to change it to frontal). Well I guess everything cannot be expected to function perfectly.

My Duo 13 model wasn't actually in the Bios update list, but decided to try it anyway.

Otherwise I haven't really countered any problems except some with display settings as chrome was really blurry, but managed to sort it out by putting the scaling back to 125%.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
jermar71

A word of caution!   I downloaded the BIOS update R108157 from Sony eSupport to add Windows 8.1 compatibility to my Sony VAIO Duo 13.  I installed the BIOS update as described, and my computer  showed 100% of the firmware written before automatically shutting down.  Afterwards my computer was a brick and would not turn on at all.   Worked with VAIO support to try various resets, etc., but was unable to get the computer to respond (screen remained totally dark).  Finally concluded it needs to be sent in for repair.  

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
truplayr

I copied this from notebookreview forum

There is a new BIOS update added today on the Sony site dated 10/18/2013.
Sony eSupport - SVD132190X - Drivers & Software

update! there is also a required 'Vaio update' on the site:
Sony eSupport - SVD132190X - Drivers & Software
Site says this is required before installing Windows 8.1

There are also several driver updates on the site now.
(this is all on the US site)

Another note: when I installed the BIOS update, instead of restarting the computer, it shut it down. Made me a little nervous, but I waited a few minutes then turned it on.

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
steih

Make sure you have the correct model # before attempting any bios updates! This is not a generic VAIO update!

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
radimblazej

I have VAIO Duo 13 SDV 13213CXW

I have updated the bios, updated VAIO apps, upodated windows update,s till givem me error asking for OEM bioS. What gives?

Please use plain text.