Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

4K Ultra HD TV

Top 40 Artist
LeeSoFL

Will Current 4K TV's Offer Netflix (type) 4K Streaming?

Will the 850 and 900 TV's currently being sold be able to receive the streaming 4K services that are coming in 2014?

http://www.deadline.com/2014/01/ces-netflix-joins-sonys-4k-tv-push/

Netflix seems to be everywhere at the International CES confab. Sony just announced that its new 4K Bravia TV sets will offer Netflix’s 4K programming to its subscribers — an arrangement similar to ones the streaming service unveiled today with Samsung and LG. All of Netflix’s new original productions will be shot in 4K

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
mr2bob

Re: Will Current 4K TV's Offer Netflix (type) 4K Streaming?

Again please Sony don't abandon your early adapters. As fast as technology changes you should design your cutting edge products so they are not obsolete in six months. I would hate to be shut out of new services that might be offered. Please keep us informed.

Bob

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
LeeSoFL

[ Edited ]

I posted this over on the AVSforums, and remain optimistic that Sony will support the early adopters.

Sony Bravia KD-65X9005A review
Editorial Note:
Since this review was first published, Sony has issued an updated response to the critical issue of whether the X9005A series will be capable of working with future 4k formats. That response goes as follows:

"Sony always puts the customer as its number one priority, and Sony will provide all the necessary solutions to 4K TV owners to access future 4K content/services once they start in respective markets."

Sony hasn't yet backed this statement up with technical information on how potential hardware updates to the X9005A TVs might be introduced, but still - a promise is a promise! And since the lack of certainty over the 65X9005A's compatibility with future 4K content was the main reason we only awarded the set an overall score of 9 with our initial review, following Sony's statement of intent we do now feel it is appropriate to upgrade the 65X9005A's overall score to a well-deserved 10.

We've made a couple of minor alterations to the original text below, but for the most part we've left it untouched aside from adding this note.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/sony-bravia-kdl-65x9005a_TV_review

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
mr2bob

Thanks Lee.... as always keeping my fingers crossed. I must say my family and I have really enjoyed the 4K system over the holidays. It is still an awesome picture and love it every time I turn it on...

Bob

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
norml4721

Hello

See my question to moderaters above. Sony presentation at CES. Question for moderater for one possible answer.  I hope that they will support us as well. I think the answer is yes but the question is how much will it cost us to buy a new media player ?

norml4721

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
rk75

I'm a bit concerned that the Moderators have not responded as to whether current X9500A sets will be upgraded to accomodate the HEVC codec. There was a recent software update that provided a new interface for Netflix, but no other details. Are we going to be able to stream 4K content on the first generation 4K receivers?

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
LeeSoFL

According to the Sony rep I spoke with today, the first generation 4K televisions will receive a software update in the near future to provide HEVC (coding) for 4K applications such as Netflix.  It will only work with applications, and not hardware devices such as (future) Blu-ray players etc.  The next generation 4K Media Player will have HEVC which will work with 850A/900A televisions.

Netflix is due to premier "House of Cards" in 4K on Feb 14, 2014.  It is unlikely that Sony will have the updated firmware ready for release prior to that date.

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
norml4721

Hi Lee :

Thanks for updating us on 4K Netflx App streaming. If not for our own efforts and social media we would be in the dark.

It would be better if we got the news from a moderator or direct from Sony as to how our 1st generation 4K tv's will deal with this and what will be required on our end.  A customer bulliten explaining what is going on(Even if the bulliten was of a technical nature) would go a long  way in cutomer relations and relieve some of our anxieties and buyers remorse as we hear through the grapevine piecemeal what is going on.

For example will we be able to view ultraviolet or download 4K direct or will we have to run it through the new media player to  do so..

As you know at present we cannot run the current media player through our HT receivers it has to be connected direct to HDMI 4 input of TV.( When we do this we loose HD master audio formats,)  Will the next generation media player be able to passthru a HT receiver, That would eliminate a lot of external audio issues. it just makes more scence.

In fact if they were smart a list could be compiled from end users as to issues.  This should be upfront not on the back end after release..  Thats what Beta sites are for.

We as a group we could supply Sony with great beta site input after all we are the ones using these sets on a daily basis   There is alot of information flowing around the A/V community about these sets

I know how fast the technology is moving but 4K TV's are expensive and I hope that it will not require another 4 digit price tag to view new 4K source material as it is released. . I was hoping to limit spending on a/v gear for a while.

Anyway Lee, thanks again,

Norm L

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
Andyinlz

I purchased the 65' Sony 4K TV and the media server late last month.

As such, I am new to this community.

After speaking to the seller (Crutchfield)--who has had a number of conversations with Sony at my request--I was told that the current generation of Sony 4K TVs will not support Netflix 4K streaming and that Sony has no plans to upgrade the current generation.

The only solution is to purchase the "B" version of the Sony 4K TVs when they become available later this year.

As I am still in 60 day return window for the TV and server, I will return both unless we hear something definitive from Sony before my return window closes.

Any reactions, advice, or anything I've missed with respect to this issue?

Thanks in advance.  

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
rk75

This is very troubling, especially since Sony has said just the opposite, that they will upgrade the A series to receive the new codec.

Please use plain text.